Sunday, March 9, 2014

Usually, I like meeting fans...

I filled up my camera, so I had to dump all my pics onto the PC.  Looking through them, I realized I missed a Viper update.  One day it started making a horrible rattly grindy sound when I pulled into the driveway.  My immediately thought was a broken power steering pulley, since they're known to break.  It wasn't.  After some quick investigating, I discovered that the cooling fan wasn't spinning like it should.  After taking the fan out, here's what I found:
If you've never had a fan apart, there's supposed to be a pin in there connecting the shaft to the fan blades.  Here's what's left of said pin:
Apparently it had been loose or partially broken for awhile because it had worn the groove in the back of the fan hub pretty badly:
This looks like a job for...JB Weld!

Conveniently, I had some drill rod the right size on hand too so I made a solid pin instead of using a roll pin like the original unit.
Once the JB Weld set, I filed it out so the new pin was a snug fit.  Because of the length of the pin and the shape of the ribs, the pin is completely captured when the fan is installed.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment