Monday, January 6, 2020

Flexin' like a ninja

Like most things on this gun, the buttpad is 3D printed.  I could have printed it in regular plastic, but where's the fun in that?  While 7.62x39 isn't exactly a stout cartridge, I decided I didn't want a hard plastic buttpad.  Instead, I used Ninjaflex TPU filament.  If you've never used Ninjaflex, the filament coming off the spool is slightly stiffer than a rubber band.  It's hard to print with, and has to be printed very slowly.  It's printed fairly course with .2mm layers, I've had mixed results printing with thinner layers.  I printed it with 4 walls and 15% infill, making it just a little bit squishier than the Limbsaver on my Mosin.  Nice and flexible:


I, of course, only have red Ninjaflex, and I didn't want it red, so I had to paint it.  Remember my love of SEM from my previous Impala posts?  Well, SEM to the rescue again.  If you're not familiar with SEM Colorcoat, it's made primarily for automotive interiors.  It's also one of the few things that works well on printed TPU.  It sticks great, and because it's made for plastic, fabric, and vinyl, it flexes without cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment