Sunday, November 1, 2020

A barrel of fun

One of the things I've been avoiding the most on my CETME build is pressing the barrel into the trunion.  I actually bought my press specifically for this one thing, and I still put off it as long as I could.  The reason I wasn't looking forward to it is because it has to be very precisely located, and hydraulic presses aren't really known as precision equipment.  Unlike a normal gun where we'd need headspace gauges to check our clearance, HK and CETME roller delayed guns are measured by checking the bolt gap.  If the barrel is pressed in too far or not far enough the gun won't be safe to shoot, and the go-no go range is about .015"(about the thickness of 5 sheets of notebook paper). 

Since my lathe is up and running, I turned a brass piece to use for pressing the barrel.  Here it is ready to press the barrel.  There is a nub on the end that fits into the chamber to keep it centered.


I covered the barrel in anti-sieze and pressed the barrel most of the way using the brass piece, stopping and checking often.


Once it was most of the way there, I switched to using the bolt assembly it's self to press it the rest of the way.  My press plate has a hole close to the edge to give the bolt carrier some room.  I also put .020" shims between the bolt head and the bolt carrier to make sure I maintain my bolt gap.  My brass pusher piece has a hole in the center to clear the firing pin while pressing on the bolt carrier.

There was still a lot of pressing-checking-pressing-checking, etc.  Once I got close I put the trunion in the receiver and checked the gap.  Outside of the receiver the bolt head can wiggle a bit and throw off the reading, so it should always be checked with everything assembled.  The bolt gap spec for CETME and G3 based rifles is .004"-.020".  New builds tend to "settle" a little bit after firing and the bolt gap will close up some, so you want to shoot for the high end of the spec.  If you miss the spec or you shoot enough that you actually wear it out, over and undersize rollers are available, but it's best to try to get it in spec.  I ended up right at .019".

You can see all my welds here in their disappointingly sloppy Mig welded glory.  The trunion, receiver, and reinforcement rail are also all welded together at once through the hole that was drilled in the reinforcement rail.  While I was at it, I also drilled the holes for plug welding the cocking tube.

 
I left the barrel pin hole undrilled until the the trunion was welded into the receiver in case things moved a little while welding(and nothing did).  Normally, machining something like this is a pain because the existing hole in the trunion will want to make the drill bit wander as it's trying to drill through the barrel.  CETMEs and HKs are a bit different though.  The trunions on these things are HARD.  They will just laugh at a standard drill bit.  Because of this, you can use the trunion as a drill guide to drill the softer barrel.  The barrel pin is 5mm exactly.  Instead of drilling and reaming the barrel for the pin, the easy thing to do is to drill it with a #9 drill bit.  A #9 drill is just .0008" under 5mm, and makes for a good press fit without reaming. 



 


4 comments:

  1. "I ended up right at .019"

    Wouldn't it be better to be closer to .004, it seems that you're on the edges of a failure to fully close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spec for CETMEs and G3s is .004"-.020". As the gun wears, the bolt gap will get smaller. If it were set to the low end of the spec, it would probably become too small as the barrel settles and all the parts wear in. The "ideal" gap for smoothest operation is around .012"-.015", more or less and it will recoil harder. Roller delay guns like this don't actually lock closed like a traditional locking system, the rollers just delay the opening long enough pressure bleed off. Too little gap and it will recoil hard and the action won't cycle reliably. If the gap is too large, there will be less delay and the carrier will move back with too much force. A little out of spec and it could eventually crack the rear of the receiver from excessive recoil, but unless the gap is way out of spec it won't explode like other guns might and there is ample warning that something isn't right.

      Delete
  2. Did you use a #9 with a wider 135* cutting face to minimize walking? Or did the trunnion as a guide let you use a standard cutting face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A standard #9 drill will work. On these things the trunnion is so hard that a high speed steel drill bit won't cut into it at all.

      Delete