Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Keeping my hose in line

If you recall, I replaced the power steering pump on the Viper some time back.  The new pump started making a bit of noise the other day, and, not being the type to let things go too long, I checked it out.  Turns out, I was low on fluid.  Here's why:

That's the power steering return line to the reservoir.  In the past few months, it's cracked and split.  Undoubtedly it was initially damaged when I removed it to replace the pump, I just didn't notice, and it got worse from there.  It didn't help that it's 17 years old.  This particular line goes from the PS cooler to the reservoir and is so easy to replace, I didn't bother taking more pictures.  Since it's a return hose, it's not one of the special crimped high pressure lines.  Just take the airbox out, suck the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, undo the quick clamps, remove and replace.  Everything is easily accessible once the airbox is out of the way.

Actually getting new hose was a bit interesting.  It says right on it that it's 11/32" PS return hose.  So I went to Advance Auto to get some more.  Turns out Advance doesn't sell PS return hose in bulk, they sell it in individually bagged 1' and 2' sections.  Because of this, even though I told them what size I needed, they actually had to look it up on the computer.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment