Monday, November 3, 2014

I'm feeling super lazy, which is like regular lazy, but I'm also wearing a cape.

Preventative maintenance time.  At 164K miles, I question the life left in the Impala's fuel pump.  I had one go bad in the Caprice with far fewer miles.  The guy also said that the gas gauge reads 1/4 full when it's actually empty.  Substandard fuel pump wiring and sending units that go out of whack are both common problems on these cars, so I decided to take car of them both.  I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, or cover territory that someone else has already done.  So, for this post, I'm not going to go into too much detail.  Suffice to say, I did THIS and THIS.  I used an Airtex pump harness with a new Delco fuel pump, they're pretty cheap on e-bay.  If you read the second link, you know about the fuel sender wiper getting dirty.  Here's mine.  Gee, can't imagine why it might not read accurately...
I also discovered another minor problem.  The fuel return line had come unsoldered from the cap.  Judging by the rust and buildup on the top of the sender, it has been like this a while.  That would explain the faint fuel smell when driving around on a full tank.

I clipped the line back into the clip, and resealed the connection with Seal-All.  It may seem hokey, but trust me, it works.  Seal-All is fuel resistant and sticks to about everything.  I've used it to repair actively leaking radiators, and even a roadside repair on an actively dripping fuel line that rusted through.  The stuff is simply amazing.

While I had the tank out, I took the opportunity to do some rust prevention too.  All the metal under the tank was painted with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, then sprayed with Amsoil's HD Metal Protector.  The first seals and kills any existing rust, the second leaves a self healing water repelling waxy coating on the surface.  All the seams, nooks, and crannies get a liberal coating of it, as well as an overall coat of the whole area.  The metal parts of the fuel pump module got a coating of HDMP too.


No comments:

Post a Comment