Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Tube stakes

The last part that needs to be added to the 1911-ish frame is the plunger tube.  It's pretty simple, you put it in, then mushroom over the posts inside the magwell.  Before that can happen though, there needs to be someplace for the posts to mushroom into.  To do that, I took my dremel, and cutting carefully with the bit extending through the post holes, added a countersink to the back side.
They sell a tool to stake the posts over with, and it works very well.  I don't have that tool.  What I do have is a lot of random stuff laying around.  This little vice, for example, that I think I made in high school.  I took a setscrew and added a point to it to mushroom the posts.  I just hot glued the pointed setscrew onto the vice since it's a one time use tool. 
I used some green Loctite retaining compound on the posts, then staked them over.  The most important thing here is to find a perfectly sized drill bit to put into the plunger tube so that it won't collapse when you squeeze it.  Is this the worlds greatest tool?  No.  Did it get the job done?  Yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment