Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Scraping

I'm used to driving very low cars, heck for many years, my '55 Plymouth had just 3/4" between the skid plate and the ground.  Because of that, I'm used to watching where I drive and occasionally scraping the road.  Sometimes though, I get myself into an unavoidable scraping situation.  When I got the Viper, I noticed that the bottom of the bumper was very scraped up from it's previous owners.  The air dam section I can live with(and I have to fix it anyway), but a large section of the chin is very scuffed and I'd rather not wear a hole in it.

There is a company that makes a bolt on chin guard, but it stands out too much for my liking, and if you really smack something, you'll bend the "fingers" and then it looks really bad.  I decided to make my own.  I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum with some 3M trim and emblem tape.  The bars are curved to match the bumper, and the paint rubs told me where to put them.  You can just barely see the tips sticking out when the car is on the ground, not enough that most people ever notice.  I've had them on for a month or so and they've taken a few minor scrapes alright.  My thinking is that if they ever do fall off or get scraped off, I'm only out a few bucks vs. the protection they offer for every day driving.


No comments:

Post a Comment