Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tiresome...er...more exhausting

Time for more work on the Viper's exhaust.  The first order of business after removing the stock muffler was to locate the tips exactly where I wanted them.  Using plywood shims and duct tape, I hung the tips in the bumper cut out at the right angle and with the stick out I wanted.

Then, I stared making the pipes, tediously cutting and fitting a bend at a time, working my way forward toward the stock pipes.  I forgot to take pics along the way, but there's not much to it.  Since I'm using 304 stainless tubing, the plan was to tig weld the whole thing together.  I don't have a tig welder at home, so I bought a small spool of stainless wire for my mig to tack everything together.  When I finish weld it, the stainless tacks will melt in with the rest of the filler.


Since the stock exhaust is 2 1/4", and I'm using 2 1/2" tubing, I needed some adapters.  Stainless adapters are really expensive, so I made my own by flaring a bell shape on the end of some 2 1/4" pipe.  I'm using band clamps at the joint between stock pipe and the new stuff.  As it turns out, a 180° and a 45° provide the exact right amount of bend that you need to get from here to there.  Here it is all tacked together.  The hangers still need trimming, but it's pretty much ready to weld.

No comments:

Post a Comment