Sunday, July 28, 2019

Done and done.

Well, I got my Uzi done.  After baking, I hit everything very lightly with 0000 steel wool to make it slightly less flat and feel a bit smoother, then soaked it in CLP.  I way over oiled it so the CLP could soak in between all the spot welded sheetmetal bits. The only new piece that I haven't shown before is the barrel shroud.  I don't like the anteater look that the bare 16" barrels have, and fake suppressors aren't my thing, so a US Barrel Shrouds vented barrel shroud was just the ticket.  It's a very nicely made part and it simply replaces the barrel nut on the front of the receiver.  Since I built this as a "pistol" receiver, if I ever get a 10.5" barrel for it I can remove the stock and use the original barrel nut for the short barrel. Anyway, here it is set up as a carbine.


I used Testors model paint for the safety selector.  Because the black Gun Kote is very solvent resistant, I could paint the red and white in kind of sloppy, then use a paper towel damp with mineral spirits to wipe off the excess.  Since the safety selector won't go all the way forward, I just left the FA lettering black.

The color is a bit off in the other pics because of the lighting, but this one is a pretty accurate representation of it's true color.


No comments:

Post a Comment