Sunday, January 31, 2021

A little Sunday baking

I've got to paint my PSG-None.  As much as I like KG Gunkote, it goes on thin and didn't seem like it would replicate the thick factory HK epoxy finish.  I thought about using Duracoat because it looks great and is easy to use, but it's too cold out for me to spray it.  Since this is a low dollar gun, I turned to Google and settled on a highly recommended low dollar finish, Rustolium Appliance Epoxy.  It's cheap, and reportedly very tough.  Here's how it looked after it dried:


I know what you're thinking, way, way too shiny and HKs are a nice semi-gloss.  But that's ok, it's only the first step.  Even though the can doesn't say so, the internet said to bake it.  The time and temp that you bake it for will affect how the finished product looks.  I settled on 65 minutes at 400°F.  400° is low enough that it shouldn't affect the heat treatment of any hardened parts.  Baking cut the gloss down from "too shiny" to "just about perfect!"




1 comment: