Sunday, January 31, 2021

How to waste a day to save $30

You know, sometimes I do things that don't make sense.  Take the project in today's post for example.  I spent an entire afternoon on this, for the express purpose of saving a measly $30.  I wanted a 5rd magazine for my PSG-None because that's what real PSG-1's came with, and because it just doesn't look right with the 20 rounder.  20rd G3 mags are cheap, sometimes as low as $5 a piece if you shop around.  The 5 rounders though start at $30 for POF, and real HKs are much more.  The POFs are nice enough, but I didn't want to spend $30, so I decided to make my own.

I started with a completely stripped G3 mag and whacked the bottom off.

Then I trimmed some of the bottom to make some tabs to fold over.

The tabs need to be folded over very carefully.  Whatever kind of aluminum these mags are made from, it's fairly hard and will crack if you're not careful.

I also had to shorten the rest of the bits.  I cut off about half of the spring, and shortened the reinforcement plate and strap that go across the front of the mag.  I might take another wind off the spring, but I want to see how this one feeds first.

With everything trimmed,it goes back together like any other mag.  Here we are, one afternoon and 15 rounds less later:


No comments:

Post a Comment