Sunday, January 31, 2021

Llamas spit.

I finally got my 3D printed Llama frame to were I'm satisfied with it.  It took 11 tries to get it right.  On a normal 1911, I'd have printed a few, got it close, then fit the parts to the frame like you would with any new frame.  That wasn't an option here though because Llama parts are hard to come by and I can't afford to screw anything up so I basically had to fit the frame to the parts.  

I had a heck of a time with magazines too.  Llama mags are expensive, and I'm not positive that they would work because the Llama grip angle is slightly different from the standard 1911 frame my print is based off of.  I tried to make a printed one...and mags are hard...  I ended up using a Browning 1911-22 mag.  The Browning 1911-22 is a similar size to the Llama, but uses the standard 1911 grip angle.  I had to add a little clearance for the slide stop, and file out the mag catch slot a little to get it to lock it, but otherwise it works great!


It actually works...and I didn't lose any fingers!  I put about 30 rounds through it before tearing it all down for inspection.  I had some trouble with light strikes, about 1/4 of the rounds needed a second smack of the hammer to go off.  New mainsprings are completely unavailable, so I'll take it out and do some measuring to find a replacement.  Because of limited space and unavailable parts, the ejector is part of the printed frame.  Though I don't have many rounds through it, the ejector doesn't show any signs of damage from the shells hitting it.


2 comments:

  1. Any way I can get the stl? I just got a full llama parts kit but can't find a frame anywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest, it's still a work in progress. The version shown here split under the grip because it was really thin in that area. IDK what version number I'm on now, but the current versions seems to be doing well. When I get a final version that I feel comfortable sharing I'll be sure to post it.

      Delete