Saturday, September 21, 2013

Clutch link

One of my few genuine complaints about the Viper is the clutch throw.  You've got to step the pedal down a long way.  I'm 5'10", and when I adjusted the seat and pedals to where the gas, brake, and steering wheel were most comfortable, I had to fully extend my leg to get the clutch all the way down.  The pedal is connected to the clutch master with a linkage.  Installing a shorter link is supposed to shorten the clutch throw.  There is a commercially available one, but I just made my own.  My new link is 5 5/8" x 3/4" x 1/4", with 1/2" holes on 4 3/4" centers.  Both the original and new link are aluminum.  Here's the new shorter link next to the original:
Even with the new link, I still think that the clutch pedal travels too far.  Fortunately, the Gen II GTS has fully adjustable pedals.  All three pedal adjuster cables are tied into one knob under the dash.  By removing the adjustment cables from the central hub, you can individually adjust the pedals.  I moved the clutch up in relation to the other pedals so I don't have to extend my leg as far.  While I was at it, I moved the gas pedal up a bit too so heel-toe shifting is easier.  I also greased all the plastic bushings with some silicone grease to get rid of a squeak in the mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment