Sunday, February 16, 2014

Boresighting

Since I made my own scope mount, I have no idea where the scope is actually pointing in relation to the barrel.  In theory, it should be right on but it's all dependent on where the stock sight mount pins are located.  The best way to get in the ballpark is with a laser boresighing tool.  There is one commercially available for the 7.62x54R round, but user reviews say that batteries only last a few minutes, and it's not really worth the cost. 

Fortunately for me, one of the things I've accumulated under the "hey, that's cool and looks useful" category are some laser modules.  These are basically just the guts of a laser pointer.  I decided to make one into a boresighter.  I first wrapped it in electrical tape to build up the diameter, then in teflon tape that will compress and stay concentric in the chamber.  Pretty simple really.  As it turns out, I had to shim up the front of the scope by the thickness of a strip of electrical tape.  Nice and easy, and close enough to get me on target for fine tuning.


No comments:

Post a Comment