Sunday, September 21, 2014

The rest of the story

With the front suspension back together, I could get  the front end buttoned up.  With this kind of thing, where surface finish isn't an issue, I paint it with Rustolium.  I paint it on with a brush, so it goes on very thick.  It can take over a month to fully cure when it's that thick, but once it does, it's nearly as tough as powdercoating.  While I was at it, I replaced most of the brake system.  Most of the lines were replaced, along with hoses, wheel cylinders, and the master cylinder.  I also replumbed my line lock so that it locks both front wheels instead of just the front right(which makes for much better burnouts).  Part of the reason for replacing so much of the system is that I wanted to switch to DOT 5 brake fluid.  Unlike standard brake fluid, DOT 5 brake fluid doesn't absorb moisture.  That means the brake system won't rust from the inside out so I will never again have to replace the metal parts of the system.  It's a much better choice for an older car that doesn't get driven all that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment