Thursday, October 16, 2014

This just floors me

So the carpet is out, and the interior stripped, what's a guy to do?  Take preventative action of course :)  The floor in the Mighty Caprice™ rusted from the inside out.  The salt water dripping off my boots for ten years took it's toll.  I didn't want a repeat performance with the Impala.  It's very rust free, and I want it to stay that way as long as possible.  There was just a little bit of surface rust starting to show on the floor.  Here it is after a through wire brushing:
To stem the rust that's already there, I wanted to use a rust inhibiting coating.  There are many on the market that actually kill any existing the rust, and help prevent new rust.  My product of choice is Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator  Way back when, I used it on the bottom of the Mighty Caprice™.  Several years later when I had to replace the trans, you could very clearly see on the driveshaft which side was facing down and got painted.  The Rust Encapsulator works well, and isn't as hazardous to your health as some products like POR15.  I painted all the rusty spots, and places that might rust in the future:
I know from the Mighty Caprice™ that the rockers and base of the B pillars will rust too.  This inside out rust is the hardest to prevent because you can't see it, and you can't really get to it.  One of the things I'm going to do is back coat as much of the car as I can.  My primary back coating is Amsoil HD Metal Protector.  It sprays on thin and penetrates down into cracks and seams, then dries into a tough, waxy film.  While I had the interior out, using the little red hose on the can, I sprayed around inside every screw hole and opening I could find, and it only dripped out the bottom in a few spots.  I used a can and a half just inside the rockers, A and B pillars, and the part of the rear wheel arch inside the door jamb vent.


No comments:

Post a Comment