Friday, January 30, 2015

Better late than never

It recently occurred to me that, even though it's been done for nearly a year, I never posted pics of my finished AK.  In my last post, I had finished the assembly and test fired it.  After that, I stripped the whole thing down to refinished it.  After the all the effort with mediocre results with Tru-Oil on the Mosin, I decided to refinish the wood the modern way.  I sanded it down and sprayed it with semi-gloss polyurethane.  Not only is it much quicker and easier to use, a few shooting sessions have shown that the PU is more durable than the Tru-Oil.  It's much more scratch resistant, and just as easily repaired if it does get dinged(ie. I'm never using Tru-Oil again).  I sandblasted the metal parts and sprayed them with Duracoat in HK Black.  I also found a metal magazine at a gun show for cheap that I like better than the plastic Tapco one I was using, I'll paint it to match some day(I'm still 922r compliant with this magazine too).  Here's what I ended up with(bipod for pics only):




No comments:

Post a Comment