Monday, April 8, 2019

More spoilers

Another post full of spoilers.  First, I have a 3D printer(two actually, but who's counting).  Not really that big a deal, lots of people have them.  Second, I have a 3D scanner.  It is not the world's greatest scanner, but it works for my needs.  And what I needs now are some grips for my Uzi.

I was not happy with the grips that came with my parts kit.  The pistol grips were ok-ish, but the foregrips were just beat to death.  Scuffed and scraped with half the ribs worn off.  I definitely needed something better.  I bought some original "Excellent condition" grips from a vendor and they were better, but definitely still used.

I decided that I wanted to 3D print some new grips, but there is only one CAD file that I could find that was even remotely accurate looking, and it's proportions were so far off that the parts could not be made to fit the real gun.  And that's where the 3D scanner comes in.  Usually I scan people to 3D print mini versions of them so my scanner isn't great with small objects, but it's good enough for my needs.  The actual scanning doesn't take long at all, but there is a lot of post process clean up with involved.  To be honest, it probably would have been faster for me to just redraw them in Solidworks, but this whole project has been an exercise in doing things the hard way.

Anyway, here's what I ended up with.  I printed them in blue because only the cool kids have blue handguards.  Deal with it.  Actually, these are essentially my "rough draft" prints and blue is what happened to be in the printer at the moment.
Overall they fit ok, but not quite perfect, so I'm going to do some more editing of the STLs before reprinting them in black.  I'm not quite happy with the texture on some of the ribs either, so I'll fix that while I'm at it too.  And, not that I'm counting because it doesn't matter for a pistol build, these handguards would count as a US part for 922r.




No comments:

Post a Comment