Friday, April 8, 2022

New Project Time: the Megatron P38

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you know that Transformers is one of my favorite things(the real Transformers, not the smashed Coke can looking Michael Bay stuff).  I also like guns(which is why most of you are here at this point), so I decided to combine the two.  While he's a plane or a tank or something now, the original G1 design for Megatron was a Walther P38.  

I don't mind toys that look like guns, but I'm generally opposed to guns that look like toys(looking at you Lego and Nintendo Light Zapper themed Glocks).  I'm making an exception here because the original Megatron design still looks very much like a real gun and is not brightly colored in a way that would attract a curious toddler(cough Lego themed Glock cough).  Here's the look I'm going for, although I probably won't add the scope(pictures stolen from the internet).



I've been thinking about this project for the better part of a decade, but never got around to it.  Another thing you know if you've been following long enough is that doing things on the cheap is kinda my thing.  At this point in history, real P38s are fairly expensive.  More than I want to spend anyway(plus, I fully intend to engrave the Decepticon logo on the slide and I'd feel bad doing it to a nice gun).  I found a CAD file, but the frame is pretty complicated.  I think I have the skill to machine one from scratch, but I definitely don't have the patience for it.  Then, as luck would have it, I happened across part of an original P38 frame for cheap.  Some WG members pointed out that there were a few raw frame forgings available too, so I picked one up.  I also picked up a P38 parts kit on sale at EGP, and we're off.  Here's what I'm starting with.  I 3D printed the missing frame chunk and now I have to machine the forging to match.


No comments:

Post a Comment