Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Dinged Up Dodge

I've been a Viper fan since I first saw one at the impressionable age of 12.  I liked them so much that when the Dodge dealer in Madison first got one in stock, my Dad took me to see it(and have my picture taken with it).  The RT/10 was something, but when the GTS came out a few years later, it instantly went to the top of the Dream car list.  Not only did it have killer looks, with 150 HP more than the Corvettes of the era, it had the performance to match.  Like most people, I'd always considered them out or reach for us mere mortals.

That all changed when my Dad sent me an e-bay link to a wrecked 1997 Viper GTS.  It was the best year, it was my favorite body style, and it was in my favorite color.  Best of all, because of the damage, it was in my price range.  The owner slid the nose under something, then spun the driver's side into a pole.  The body was rough, and the driver's door completely smashed.  Much of the door glass was laying in the Driver's seat.  It didn't look great, but the owner said it ran and drove fine.  I'm pretty good with bodywork, and spent years working with fiberglass in a kit car place, so it's crunched exterior didn't scare me.  Since it was across the country I couldn't inspect it first hand so it was a bit of a gamble. 

When it showed up, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I knew it needed a door and window, and didn't really set my hopes to high.  I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up.  The body was rough, the interior was dirty, but the chassis and running gear looked absolutely phenomenal.  Everything that wasn't the body was in near perfect condition.  Here's how it looked when I first got it, and the most damaged areas of the body:









No comments:

Post a Comment