Sunday, May 4, 2014

I need to vent a little

I made another small but incredibly important addition to the Viper.  For whatever reason, the power steering caps on the Vipers have a tendency to work loose.  When that happens, you get power steering fluid splashing onto your nice and hot exhaust.  The end result is often calling your insurance guy and finding a new car.  There is a very simple fix for the problem.  All you have to do is add a vent line to the cap.  The vent prevents the cap from turning so it can't fall off.  Like many of the things I've made, there is a commercially available vent kit, but we all know how cheap I am.  I took a chunk of 3/8 steel line and some hose that I had laying around and made up a line.

It has some twists and turns to clear everything on it's way down to below the frame rail.  It's pretty long, and there isn't really anything to attach it to under the car.  Since it has to move with the engine, it couldn't be attached to the frame.  This left me with a very long and unsupported tube hanging off a plastic cap.  With all that weight dangling there, I didn't really like how it was mounted and was concerned about it vibrating and damaging the cap.  After sitting on it for a few days, it occurred to me that it's a vent, not a drain tube.  It's only real purpose is to keep the cap tight so it doesn't need to be anywhere near as long as I had it.  So, I made another one.

This one extends just past the PS pump and is much more manageable.  It's not the prettiest, but once installed, it blends in with the rest of the engine compartment.  I may switch to some better looking line in the future, but for now, this was a no cost mod and I can quit worrying about the car bursting into flames from a faulty cap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment