Monday, February 2, 2015

Check out my rimz yo

One of the things I always liked about the '94-96 Impala SS's was the wheels.  They may seem blase now, but in the mid 90's, a 17" aluminum wheel on any production vehicle was something to behold.  My Impala didn't come with the stock wheels though, it had run of the mill 15" steel Chevy van wheels on it.  The guy said the original wheels had been stolen, which gives more evidence that this was, at some point, a theft recovery car.  The car just doesn't look right without the original wheels so I e-bay'd myself some. 

Since this was to be primarily a winter car, two things needed to happen.  First, I had to protect my new used wheels.  When the factory clear coat on the wheels chips, water gets in, and the aluminum starts to corrode.  This is what leads to the spider veiny look you often see on older wheels.  To protect my wheels, I sprayed them with clear Plasti-dip.  Plasti-dip followed by a coat of Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax gives the wheels a durable, easy to clean, protective finish.

The second, and more important addition, was some snow tires.  I didn't used to be a believer in snow tires until I bought a set for my old Caprice.  I still remember the first time I drove on them.  I stomped on the gas, and the car took off.  I jammed on the brake, and the car stopped.  It was amazing.  I've had snow tires on my winter cars ever since.  For the Impala, I'm using the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 in 235/55-17.  These are literally the best snow tires money can buy for this car, and so far they've been worth every penny.


No comments:

Post a Comment