Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I'm moving outside

It's not just the inside of the Impala that hadn't been cared for, the outside was pretty beat up as well.  For starters, the right tail light was shattered.  The guy said it happened almost right after he got it.  Because the shift rod was missing a $0.14 cotter pin and 5 minutes worth of work, it wouldn't actually lock into park, and the guy said it rolled into a truck in a parking lot.  Here's how it looked when I got it:
Now, I've never been a big fan of the factory ribbed tail lights as it is.  Once again the Caprice helped me out.  At some point in it's life with the city of Rockford, Il, the tail lights were replaced with smooth 91-92 tail lights.  After painting the center chrome strip black, they look right at home on the SS.
The right front corner light lens was cracked on the Impala too.  Again, the Caprice had the answer, but it was a different one this time.  Many, many years ago, I grazed a deer with the left front corner of the Caprice.  It hit just hard enough to crack the corner lens and wrinkle the fender.  When I repaired it, I had to buy a pair of corner lights.  As luck would have it, now that I needed the other side, I already had it.
This car had been repainted twice with rather poor prep, and the bumpers had been bumped into things.  As such, the paint on the bumpers was largely peeling or missing.
Since this is a low dollar winter car, I decided spray paint is good enough.  Despite what you might think, spray paint is actually pretty good stuff when properly used.  The B and C pillars, and trunk lid of the Caprice were spray painted some 9 years ago, and still looked good when I sold it(see reference pics here).  After peeling off any flaking paint and scuffing anything shiny, I used Dupli-Color DA1600 Gloss Black.  It's actually a pretty close match for the factory black.
My car also suffered the same thing as many of these cars do, Peeling Spoiler Syndrome.  With time, the factory paint starts to lift off the fiberglass spoiler.  I ended up using a razor blade to scrape all of the paint off of it(which was actually very easy and quick to do), then I scuffed it up and painted it too.  Ready for paint here:
I also went around and touched up all the other spots of missing paint.  It's by no means perfect, but since I was racing the weather, it's good enough for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment