Sunday, July 21, 2019

The most exciting thing to happen in a long time...

It's a very exciting day here in Jeff's basement.  This day has been a long time coming, and days like this don't happen often.  What's so special about this day you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  It's new cardboard on the workbench day!  Every now and then, the old cardboard gets dirty and chewed up enough that it needs to be replaced, and that day is today.  Oh, and I finished machining my 1911-ish upper frame too.

These are very tedious guns to machine in general, and especially so on a mill without a tool changer.  Practically every hole on the thing is a different size so there are a lot of tools needed for single operations.  The first operation from my last post was from the top down.  The second operation was all the machining on the right side.  I chose to leave as much of the bottom solid as I could to help keep as much rigidity in the part as I could.  The boss that I left on the front of the dust cover gives that thin area a bit more support while machining, and gives the vice something solid to clamp against.
The third operation was all the features that needed to be done on the left side, and it's really starting to look like something now.
Just one setup left, machining all the extra material off the bottom.  I made the dust cover extra long so that I can cut the boss off the front, and trim the dust cover to match my slide just how I want it.  Anyway straight to the money shots: 





No comments:

Post a Comment