Sunday, April 5, 2020

Big upgrades for my little mill, Pt 1

If you've been following along, you know that I have a Sieg X2D mini mill that I've converted to CNC.  I've had it several years now, and I decided that it was time to give it an upgrade.

One thing I've never been satisfied with on this mill is the gibs.  The originals are cast iron and use a screw/locknut arrangement for adjustment.  They are finicky to adjust and don't slide as well as I'd like when adjusted to zero backlash.  So I decided to make some new ones.  I made a jig with all the correct angles and whittled out some new gibs from aluminum bronze.  It's a great material to use for gibs and bushings and other things that use sliding friction.
I also got some self-locking gib adjustment screws from Little Machine Shop.  Here you can see an original gib and screws next to the new ones.

I also decided to upgrade my motor couplers.  I had been using cheap aluminum couplers are they work ok, but under high load you could see them wind up and unwind like a spring.  Not much, but enough to bother me.  I've also snapped several of them on light crashes, they twist off pretty easily.  I decided to replace them with much more durable diaphragm style couplers.  New on the left, old on the right:


More to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment