Saturday, April 4, 2020

Look Ma! A 3D printed rifle!(sort of)

At long last here's how my SCR-ish rifle turned out.  Quick recap:
AR based straight pull bolt action
Bear Creek side charging upper in 7.62x39
Bear Creek 16" stainless barrel with cheap ebay muzzle brake
Gas block installed backwards to block off the gas port in the barrel
3D printed lower in eSun PLA+, stock and free float handguard in Ziro Marble PLA
AR hammer and trigger modified to work with relocated and 3D printed trigger and transfer bar
Rise Armament anti-walk pin set for the printed trigger and transfer bar (I still need one more longer screw for the trigger because the printed lower is thicker than a standard AR through the trigger pin location)

Once I get a few hundred rounds through it and am more satisfied that the lower won't crack with use, I'll probably reprint it in black.  Here's how it looks all assembled:






It's hard to believe that these are basically the same rifle:

7 comments:

  1. Very cool stuff. Do you suppose the design is strong enough to work with Brownell's bufferless BRN-180 upper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably work great with that upper. If they fail, printed and polymer ARs generally crack at the buffer tube connection, so a bufferless upper without all that mass moving around in the stock would probably hold up fine.

      Delete
  2. Great design and implementation. I managed to track down the design thread on weapons guild but couldn’t tell if you were ever happy enough with the testing to release the .stl file. What was the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like it a lot. I've only got a few hundred rounds through it so far, and the printed parts are holding up great. I never got around to posting the files, because to be honest I just got distracted with a new project and forgot. I'm working on putting together a file and instructions package and hopefully will have them posted soon.

      Delete
    2. I’ll be eagerly keeping an eye out for them or if you’d be willing to send them as is, I’d appreciate not waiting. I think it’d make a great base for a space cowboy build.

      Delete
  3. I'm having an issue not being able to cycle the weapon due to the hammer hiting the bolt , any advice?

    ReplyDelete