Monday, September 7, 2020

Seperation anxiety

Like many military guns of the post-war era, CETME rifles consist of a few hard parts in a sheetmetal receiver shell.  Since I need to reuse the parts, I need to liberate them from the receiver pieces included in the kit, and that's part of why I've put this project off as long as I have.  The most common method is to grind the spot welds thin then peel the sheetmetal off.  I started with the front trunion because it's the biggest/easiest piece.  I didn't even need to grind through the welds.  It looks like some of them were already broke and had been for a while, and the ones that weren't were pretty weak.  This should have been the most solidly mounted part of the whole receiver.  When you hear people say to be wary of the quality of Spanish guns, this is why...

The rest of the parts were, in fact, properly welded.  When buying the parts I needed I also bought a G3 rear receiver section to harvest the rear sight base and stock attachment weldment(though I won't be using the iron sights at all on this build it was cheaper this way).  Here are all the parts I scavenged along with what's left of the receiver pieces:



No comments:

Post a Comment