Monday, September 14, 2020

Something old and something new

It's been cold and rainy and I didn't want to go outside so I got some more work done on the PSG-None.  When I stared this project, I though it would be pretty straight forward because I'd already 3D printed a cosplay prop version of the PSG-1.  Yeah...not so much.  The file that I based my prop on was not even close to accurate, none of it was the right shape and it wasn't even close to something that would fit on a real receiver.  Good enough for what it was as a prop, but not good enough for me to want to use on this project.  So I ended up redrawing everything from scratch.  

I started with the pistol grip since it could be printed quickly for test fitting. While I was at it, I experimented with Cura's "Fuzzy Skin" option.  It's an option in Cure that makes the outer wall of the print jitter randomly, making it look fuzzy compared to the smooth lines of a standard print.  You can see in the picture where the fuzzy skin stops and standard skin starts.  At some point I'll post a how-to for getting the fuzzy skin only in areas where you want it.  Here are my first test pieces, the grip and palm shelf, on my CETME grip housing.  This is basically a rough draft, the final version will fit a little better, and will be a bit shorter.  The bottom of the grip on this print extends too far down.  Also, for what it's worth, I usually use grey for all my prototyping because it's easy to see where things are rubbing and material has to be removed to get things to fit right(just a handy tip for printing things you know you're going to have to file and fit).

After modifying the grip to my satisfaction, I moved onto the stock.  Here too, I drew everything from scratch.  I'm going to be using a G3 recoil assembly and buffer instead of the CETME parts.  I bought a whole recoil/stock unit because it was actually cheaper than just buying the recoil assembly alone, so I have a nice surplus green G3 stock to pull some measurements from too.  After drafting, I printed out the front chunk of stock to make sure it fit in the recoil assembly like it was supposed to.  It needed just a little tweaking to fit right, and after seeing the print I changed the shape of the front few inches to better match the real thing too, so the final part will look better than this first print.




No comments:

Post a Comment