Sunday, December 6, 2020

Baby on board! A Llama XV miniture 1911 clone

I saw one of these at a gun show years ago, and didn't buy it because the guy wanted $450 for it, but I always thought it was really neat.  They haven't gone down in price since then either.  Then I found a frameless parts kit on Every Gun Part, and when they had their Cyber Monday 50% off  sale I didn't hesitate, and picked it up for $100.

It's a Llama XV, a Spanish copy of the 1911 in 22LR, but unlike most 1911-22's that are still full size, this one is scaled down considerably.  It's not just shorter like a Commander or Officer frame gun, the whole thing is uniformly scaled down in all directions.  All the internal frame parts look exactly like 1911 parts, but smaller.  Since it's a 22LR blowback pistol, the plan is to 3D print the frame for it.  Since it's a fixed barrel most of the recoil stress will be on the slide stop pin and barrel seat area and I think a printed part will be strong enough to handle it.  I took the CAD files I already have for 1911 frames, and scaled them down accordingly.  The Llama isn't a directly scaled copy, so there is going to be a lot of adjusting and reprinting to get everything to fit(particularly all the pin hole locations).  This is going to be a fill in when I don't have anything else going on project, so I don't know when it'll be done.

I spent a day measuring and adjusting my frame CAD file to be close, then test printed a frame to see how things fit.  It still needs a lot of tweaking to get everything to fit and work like it should.  When you look at it, it doesn't seem that small, but when you put it next to a full size 1911, you can see how tiny it really is.  It makes a standard 1911 look huge:



No comments:

Post a Comment