Friday, December 24, 2021

SCR-ish update

It's funny how fast time gets away from you.  It's been almost two years since I stared my 3D printed SCR style bolt action AR project.  It seemed like I was always waiting for something and time kept creeping by.  In that time I've had a lot of people asking me for the files but I didn't have them ready yet.  None of the people that I gave the files to for beta testing followed through.  I also wasn't super happy with how the safety detent worked, so I wanted to do some more work on it.  I had enough parts to put together a 2nd one of my own, but didn't have the motivation. 

I've also been shopping around for another 22lr to plink with lately.  Then I saw Bear Creek's Black Friday ad advertising their new dedicated 22lr upper.  The lightbulb went off and I bought one.  My SCR style rifle was designed to be a bolt action because there was no room for an AR recoil system, and I wasn't super keen on replicating the real SCR's setup on a 3D printed receiver.  But, 22lr ARs don't need the stock recoil system, it's self contained in the upper.  So, I printed out the receiver and buttstock parts, and pinned on my brand new Bear Creek 22lr upper.  I've gotta say, this thing is great and a lot of fun to shoot.  The bolt/barrel setup is proprietary to Bear Creek, but the mags are CMMG and RTB compatible so mags are easy to get.  The optic is a $30 Amazon red/green dot because I love cheap optics on cheap guns.  I don't have a whole lot of rounds through it yet, and so far it's functioned flawlessly.  I hope to actually get the files posted on Weapons Guild by New Years.






8 comments:

  1. Awesome man can't wait , I bought a FM-15 upper and and have been patiently waiting, also grabbed a Remington 870 stock , cant wait !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't made to be used with an 870 stock, the printed stock dovetails onto the receiver for optimum strength.

      Delete
  2. I just joined weapons guild what should I search for to find the link ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The files have been posted to Weapons Guild in the 3D Downloads section. If I can find a good host, I may eventually post them publicly. https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=88610.0

      Delete
  3. I'd love to help anyway I can, I could beta test it with a 5.56 fm-15 upper and get back to you with a wright up and videos once the files are uploaded ( if you'd like)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a FM-15 upper which looks like it would work great yet the hammer is making contact with the bolt , comparing the files to a normal ar I notice the fire controll group pin holes are higher on your design , is there a way around this issue to get the weapon to cycle safety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire control pins are .100" higher to work with the trigger arrangement. There is more than enough clearance in a standard AR upper, which this was designed around. Your hammer is probably hitting the recoil springs in the FM-15 upper. You are in uncharted territory and without being able to look at it to see what the problem is, I think you'll probably need to trim the top of the hammer off. Bobbing hammers is nothing new in custom ARs.

      Delete
    2. Thanks man , gave it a shot today and seems to be working perfectly, huge fan of your work , thank you again , really love the way this think looks and feels , was an awesome printing experience,

      Delete