Friday, August 2, 2013

Plasti-stripes

When I got my car, someone had already done some fixing on the hood(and not very well I might add).  There was a big primer spot on it covering the repair.  The repair area extended over the stripes, and stood out like a sore thumb.

I decided to do a quick fix until I get into major bodywork.  Since this is only a temporary job, I'm using Plasti-Dip.  If you're not familiar with Plasti-Dip, it's a spray on rubber coating available at hardware stores and online at places like www.dipyourcar.com.  It comes in a variety of colors and can be used for anything from cars to tools.  Plasti-dip's best feature is that while it sticks well, it's very to remove.  You just start pulling at an edge, and the Dip peels off in big sheets leaving the original finish untouched.   Since it's not a permanent coating, I wasn't too concerned about overspray so I didn't have to mask the whole car. 
Most colors of Plasti-Dip cover well, but the white is pretty thin.  It took a whole can to cover the blue primer spot. I also blended it back so I didn't end up with a hard tape line towards the top.
One of the tricks to Dip is that you need to remove the masking right away.  If you let the Dip dry, it will start peeling off as you remove the masking tape.  Once it's had a few days to throughly dry, using a product like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax will greatly increase it's durability.  Here she is, stripes one again continuous.  Any overspray on the body simply wipes off.  The color is slightly off, and there's still obviously a primer spot, but the overall look of the car is much improved by this one little detail :)



No comments:

Post a Comment