Friday, January 24, 2020

Safe-ish

I am 100% unsatisfied with the safety on my SCR rendition.  It works reliably, but I don't like how it's layed out.  When I flipped the selector lever to the other side of the receiver, I had to move the the detent and spring too.  To be honest, I just kind of made it up as I went along, and it shows.  I'm still using the original detent just with the base ground off. That bit is OK, the real problem is the spring.  I made the detent pocket as shallow as I thought I could get away with so that I had more solid plastic in the receiver, but that left me with a spring that could only be 3-4 coils long.  Additionally, to remove the selector, you have to use a punch to override the detent and knock it out.  I don't see this as a good long term solution.  I also had to notch the back side of the safety lever for the head of the screw for the Rise Armament anti-walk pins I'm using, but that's no big deal.  Here's what I've got now:
For Receiver Mk3 I've decided to add a channel for a longer detent spring.  It goes from behind the detent into the hole for the trigger pin.  This way I can use a longer spring, and can take some tension off the spring by pulling the trigger pin when I want to take it apart.  It's will be a little fiddly to assemble, but a lot of the springs on ARs are like that.  While I was revising things, I also thickened up the trigger guard a bit to make it a little tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment