Thursday, January 2, 2020

Testing, 1, 2

I started printing my SCR stock last night, and the print failed part way through.  Looks like a nozzle clog or something, nothing major.  But it did leave me with a half printed part that I didn't have a use for, and since I'd been curious about how strong the stock would be, I decided to do some destructive testing.

This part is Ziro Marble PLA(not PLA+), printed at .16mm layers, .45mm line width, 7 shells, 15% infill, and 75% fan speed.  I clamped it in my vice, put a prybar in one of the holes, and started pulling.  While in no way was this a scientific test, my calibrated arms(from years of working on cars) tells me I was putting about 75lbs of force on it before it broke.  Most importantly, it didn't shear across the layers, it broke out jaggedly meaning I had very good layer adhesion.  Interestingly, it doesn't look like I had great bonding between the lines of print in each layer.  Regardless, I'm not going to worry about the strength of this stock anymore, it should be more than strong enough for how it will be used.


No comments:

Post a Comment