Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Investing in stocks

Through much trial, error, and cursing, I got a stock modeled that is reasonably comfortable without having to reach too far for the trigger.  3rd time's a charm.  I lowered the grip portion even more, and made the whole thing narrower.  It's closely patterned after a Marlin 60, which is the most comfortable rifle I have in the house at the moment.  I printed it out in Vase mode, so it's only one line thick, but it used a minimum of plastic and I'm just trying to get a feel for how it fits.
Since my print volume is limited, I can't print this all in one piece.  One of the tricks I use while 3D printing prop guns and swords is to add a tube through the middle of the parts, then once it's printed, glue in a 1/2" wood dowel rod.  This both helps align the parts, and adds a lot more strength than you'd expect.  I also added a 2nd, shorter pin hole for alignment purposes.  I haven't finished modeling the butt plate yet, but here's how the pieces look inside:


No comments:

Post a Comment