Saturday, January 4, 2020

Stocks and bonds

Since the printed grip section ended up so ridiculously strong, and the back end won't see the kind of loading that the grip section will(and since I was getting low on filament), I dropped the rear section down to 4 shells thick when I printed it.  All the other settings were the same.  I'm not the biggest guy and even with the lower shell count, it's still tough enough that I can stand on it no problem.

Since I had to make my stock in two pieces, I've got to glue it together.  As mentioned earlier, from my experience with printed prop guns and swords my preferred method for this kind of thing is to run a hardwood dowel through the parts and glue the whole thing together.  It's quick, and makes a stronger parts than it would be if it was all printed.  For this stock, I'm using one long dowel all the way through, and a short one to aid alignment.

For this kind of thing, ordinary superglue is my adhesive of choice.  My preference is Gorilla brand superglue because it tends to be a little bit thicker than other brands.  I dribble some down the dowel holes, then slide it all together.  No need to be stingy here, the more glue, the better.  Note though that if you're going to leave it as a raw print with no sanding or painting, spilled or squeezed out superglue tends to leave a white haze on the glue joint.  Since superglue sets so quickly, you'll likely only get one shot at putting things together, so be prepared.  Once glued together, I put the stock in a clamp to let it sit overnight.  Superglue is a moisture cure adhesive, so the more humid it is, and the more moisture is in the wood dowel, the faster it will set(also why it bonds skin instantly).

In an unrelated matter, I cut a piece of Harbor Freight floor mat to put in the back of the upper receiver.  Since there is nothing to stop the bolt carrier's rearward travel until it hits the lower receiver, this acts as a buffer for the bolt carrier so it doesn't smack the plastic of the receiver when you rack the bolt.  If it doesn't hold up, I'll try a different material.

In another unrelated side note, for those who are curious, my trigger breaks around 5.5-6lbs(best I can measure with my shoddy equipment), and the break is fairly clean.  Not the greatest trigger ever, but acceptable given how wonky it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment