Sunday, January 5, 2020

Speeding things up a bit

When I test fired my SCR, I had a few light primer strikes.  Not completely unexpected, it's a common problem with AR platform 7.62x39 steel cased ammo like I use.  Instead of swapping to a heavier hammer spring which would increase the trigger pull, I learned that bobbing the hammer can be an effective solution too.  The lighter hammer moves faster, which imparts more energy to the firing pin, which hits the primer with more energy.  There are pages and pages of internet arguments about it, but the overall consensus is that it works.  As a bonus, it also reduces lock time, the time between when you pull the trigger and when the primer fires(although admittedly my senses aren't fine enough to ever notice).   Anyway, I got out my grinder and whacked some mass off the hammer.  I didn't go as far as some people have because it's easier to take more off later than put it back on.  If it doesn't work, I'm not out anything but a few minutes time.

The other thing I did was make a knob for the charging handle.  IMO, the handle is too short for a bolt action.  It puts my hand too close to the pic rail on top of the upper receiver and is just uncomfortable to use.  It would be fine in a standard semi-auto where you don't use it as much, but having to use it for every round just wasn't going to work for me.  I printed a fairly basic ball knob that just friction fits inside the existing handle.  It's only 5/8" longer, but it makes a world of difference in use.  It's printed solid, so I'm not worried about it breaking off.


No comments:

Post a Comment