Tuesday, December 31, 2019

We're not the Avengers, but we can still assemble.

With my lower printed it's time to fit everything.  Everything in the CAD file is pretty much drawn to size, which means that in the physical print, everything has slightly too much material.  I'd rather have too much than not enough so I'll leave it like that, but it does mean that the lower will require a little fitting.  All the holes get cleaned up with appropriate sized dill bits, and any burrs or bumps where other parts fit need to be filed smooth.  I left the surfaces where upper sits on the lower slightly too big in the CAD so that I could get a perfect zero slop fit between the upper and lower(particularly in the buffer tower area), and that also means that there should be enough material to make it fit well with any brand of upper.  This makes it less plug and play than a standard AR lower, but the end result is a better fitting part.  I also slightly redesigned the trigger transfer lever to make it stronger as a printed part.  If it were made from metal, the original 1/4" x 1/4" size will still work fine.





With the lower assembled, I could mock up all the rest of the parts I have on hand.  I'm using a Bear Creek 16" stainless barrel, with a matching cheap e-bay muzzle brake(which may not do much, I mostly just like how it looks).  I'm using a Yankee Hill low profile gas block installed backwards so that the gas port on the barrel is covered(and the YHM was the cheapest one I could find).  A standard barrel nut holds the barrel on, and my yet to be designed handguard will clamp around it.  It will be a free floating guard, but if it seems like it needs support, I'll tap the tube hole in the gas block for a front mounting screw.  The scope is a 3x9 that my Dad had laying around, and the magazine is a 10 round AR Stoner(actually made by ASC, and reported to feed the 7.62x39 reliably).  I'm waiting on a set of screw together anti-walk pins for the trigger and transfer bar, and I still have a lot of work to do for the furniture, but it actually kind of looks like a gun now.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Once I have reviews back from the people doing beta tests, the files will be posted on the Weapons Guild forum.
      http://www.weaponsguild.com

      Delete
  2. Awesome build. Just saw this. How did the beta testing go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got about 125 rounds through mine and it worked perfectly. I'm still waiting to hear back from the people who volunteered to beta test, cheap AR parts are hard to come by at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I'm glad I stocked up on stuff pre election panic buy. Finally found you on weaponsguild. Its definitely looking good. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Have you thought of going full scr and adding the buffer to it? Looks like a fairly easy thing to accomplish with some off the shelf bernelli m2 stuff

      Delete
    3. I am really excited about this and it will be my first ar print if it gets released. Thanks for doing this!

      Delete
  3. Getting close, I'm just waiting to hear back a few more reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any word on if it'll get released soon? I would love to print one of these :D your work is awesome

      Delete
    2. I'm still waiting for user reviews to come back. I'll be sure to post about it when I do get the files out.

      Delete
    3. Any new updates on when the files could be tested or purchased? I’m very interested and would buy a copy the second you’re willing

      Delete
    4. I'm not ready to post them yet. I will try to get them out around New Years, and when I do they will be posted for download on the Weapons Guild forum.

      Delete
  4. jeff amazing work!
    i wanna make an scr airsoft rifle, do you have the file for the lower and the stock?i need to make some mod to fit the internal parts
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete