Friday, December 6, 2019

Getting a grip, safely

In order to save an entire $30, I decided that I wanted to 3D print the grip safety on my 1911-ish.  I figured that if nothing else, it's already a back up to the main safety so if it didn't work the gun would still be safe to use.  I had a surprising amount of trouble with it, and it took several tries to get it right.  Because of my integral mainspring housing, an off the shelf .250 radius 1911 GS would still work, but will need the little feet trimmed off the bottom in addition to all the standard fitting that you'd need to do so that the GS can be put on after the upper and lower parts are assembled.  Here are all my attempts next to the steel part that came with my parts kit.  Each one is just a little different than the previous version:

No comments:

Post a Comment