Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Stocking up.

I did some more work on my SCR stock.  Not so geometric shapes like this are hard for me to do, it's not really something Solidworks was made for and I'm learning a lot as I go.  I actually printed two more stock sections in the past few days.  I got the first one off the printer and thought "Geez, this doesn't really feel different than my first attempt."  And that's because I printed the same original test file again...oops.  So then I printed the right one.  It's much better and is a much more comfortable grip and easier/shorter trigger reach.  It still needs more work as the base of my thumb sits uncomfortably against where the main section of the stock meets the grip portion.  It's hard to show the difference, but here are the two versions together showing how much lower the grip section of the new one is.  This one is also printed in Marble filament because I think that's what I want to use for the final stock/handguard prints.  I live in WI after all, and winter is a thing we generally do pretty well.
For ease of use, I chose to dovetail the stock onto the receiver.  That should give me a nice strong connection while only needing one small bolt to hold it in place.  The dovetail also gives me a lot more solid material in the area where the lower is most likely to break in use.  If need be, I can add a hole or two in that area to JB Weld in some steel reinforcing rods too.  You can see how it slides on here:


No comments:

Post a Comment